Home » Posts tagged 'Learners'
Tag Archives: Learners
The journey to understanding usually isn’t that exciting – it isn’t fun either. Some learning tasks require boring repetition, a mind set to detail and periods of intense mental focus.
Proverbs 1:1-8 says, “To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother.”
Proverbs is a book for anybody who aspires to learn well; those who want to know wisdom and instruction and to perceive the words of understanding; and to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity. You’ll never come to know God if you don’t want to learn. When you read it you’ll be able to see God is sought like treasure.
Characteristics of good learners
“…My son, hear the instruction…”
Every good learner;
1. is curious to know – They want to know just about everything, often about things beyond their area of comprehension as the bible says, “…to give subtilty to the simple…” this occurs when one loves that discovery part of learning.
2. always seek to perceive the words of understanding. They pursue to understand diligently. They know knowledge does not come easily, it arrives after effort, and a willingness to sacrifice for it. Remember, “…he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” Hebrews 11:6
Every child of God should be able to search out for information for just about everything – 2 Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
Read, analyze, and evaluate for yourself information that you find even about God, prayer or all spiritual truth – talk to others, read more, study more, and carry around what you don’t understand; thinking about it at all times.
“Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart.” Daniel 7:28
3. Good learners are persistent, they never give up easily. Failure scares everyone who is a good learner, especially when you know to succeed is a fruit of learning.
4. Good learners don’t take learning for granted, it’s not fun. Jeremiah 29:13 says, “And ye shall seek me, and find me , when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”
When understanding finally comes, when you get it, when all the pieces of it is come together, that is one special blessing.
5. Good learners make knowledge their own
6. Good learners change their knowledge structures in order to accommodate new learning or new wine. They use the new knowledge to get rid of the old and tear down that poor or, to finish what’s only partially built, and to create new additions. In the process, they build a bigger and better knowledge structure. You see how it’s not enough to just take in new knowledge?
- you never run out of questions
- you always want to know more
- you are never satisfied with how much you know about anything.
9. Good learners share what they’ve learned. Unless it’s passed on, knowledge is lost.
10. Good learners are teachers committed to sharing with others what they’ve learned. They write about it, talk about it and do explain what they know in ways that make sense to others.