Home » Posts tagged 'Heavenly Bodies'
Tag Archives: Heavenly Bodies
“For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.” 2 Corinthians 5:4-5
Paul in 2 Corinthians chapter 5 is telling us how we shall have heavenly bodies. He begins saying, “For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved…”
- we certainly know that these our bodies shall be dissolved — when we die, we shall leave these bodies.
It is a faithful saying worth of all acceptation that one day we shall die, or correctly speaking, when caught alive, we shall all leave these our bodies and be clothed with new bodies, which are heavenly. You aught to know that. Rather, we should all look forward to that day, a day when we shall have heavenly bodies that we shall put on like new clothes.
“For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven.” 2 Corinthians 5:2
Our faith revolves around this fact that in the event that “…our earthly house of this tabernacle shall be dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.”
“…we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens…”
We look forward with confidence to our heavenly bodies. I hear Paul say, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.  For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:  Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.” Philippians 1:21-24
That was his earnest expectation and hope, which hopefully is yours too, and “we are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 5:8
- every moment we spend in these earthly bodies is time spent away from our eternal home in heaven with Jesus. I also have a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; for to die is gain.
For we walk by faith, not by sight, 2 Corinthians 5:7
Three reasons why we should walk by faith, rather four;
1. we will have wonderful new bodies in heaven.
- we are always confident, knowing, our eternal home is in heaven with Jesus, vs 6
2. Our eternal home is in heaven with Jesus.
- we are confident, willing, to be present with the Lord, vs 8
3. Our rewards are in heaven.
- we are confident, labouring, that ….we may be accepted, vs 9
4. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord,
“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.” 2 Corinthians 5:10
This judgement seat of Christ is real, and with it the atmosphere is different from the present status quo. Appearing before his judgement seat is about coming face to face with he who knows our hearts, and is able to make everyone receive somewhat of the deeds wrought while in our mortal bodies.
“…the love of Christ constraineth us…” vs 14
– that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again, vs 15
– though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more, vs 16
All things are of God
“And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.” 2 Corinthians 5:18 – 19
- then we are ambassadors for Christ, vs 20