Home » Posts tagged 'Elders'
Tag Archives: Elders
Heaven is revealed
“After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.” Revelation 4:1-2
John was in the spirit and there in heaven he saw;
1. A throne and someone sitting on it, vs 2
- he that sat upon it (God) looked like a jasper and a sardine stone, (God’s perfection and eternity)
- a rainbow (type of God’s consolatory promises or covenant) glowing like an emerald encircled his throne,
- lightning and thunder (judgement) were issued from the throne, and there were voices in the thunder, vs 5
2. Twenty-four smaller thrones with twenty-four Elders sitting on them, were round about the throne, vs 4
- the elders (well known people who are representatives of God’s people) were all clothed in white, with golden crowns (of victory) upon their heads.
3. Seven lamps of fire (the seven Spirits of God) were burning before the throne, vs 5
4. A sea of glass spread out before the throne, vs 6. This corresponds to the molten sea before the sanctuary, wherein the priests washed themselves before entering on their holy service.
5. The Four beasts (cherubim) full of eyes to look ahead and to look behind, vs 6
- the first beast was like a lion,
- the second beast was like a calf,
- the third beast had a face as a man,
- the fourth beast was like a flying eagle,
“And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.” Revelation 4:9-11
Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
“And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?” Revelation 5:2
The book was written on the inside and on the back, and sealed with seven seals.
This book was sealed, i.e. made under seal and so was treated differently from other written books. A seal is an emblem used as a means of authentication.
The book or scroll in Rev 5 is sealed with seven seals and no one in heaven and earth is worthy to open it, none, either an angel or saint has the worthiness except for the exalted Lord Jesus Christ. He alone can open it and disclose what’s in there -i.e. the apocalypse and the judgments of God, (Rev 6-7). Christ is the only one who can give meaning to life.
“…behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.” Revelation 5:5
He prevailed when was slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood.
“… in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. …” Revelation 5:6-7
- having seven horns, signifying strength, and the seven eyes meaning he sees and knows ALL things. It’s worth noting that the Holy Spirit is sent forth into all the earth, not to certain individuals.
By taking the book means the whole destiny of humankind is put into the hands of the enthroned Christ. On the basis of its contents He would judge humanity according to what’s written there in.
“And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb….And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.” Revelation 5:8-10
See how they worship in heaven; they all fell down before the Lamb!
“And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.” Revelation 5:11-14
Everyone in heaven, on earth and everywhere else, see who they worship – they all worship God AND the Lamb!
In conclusion John says something tremendous, each time you worship, the four beasts says “Amen” and together with the twenty four elders they join in to worship with you , “…the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.” Revelation 5:14
To be Continued….