“…knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.” Romans 13:11-12
There are things you need to quickly know and do within your first few weeks of becoming a Christian.
- ask the Lord Jesus Christ to help you live as you should, and don’t make plans to enjoy evil.
- quit the evil deeds of darkness and put on the armor of right living
- be decent and true in everything you do so that all can approve your behaviour
- don’t spend your time in wild parties and getting drunk or in adultery and lust or fighting or jealousy.
- pay all your debts except the debt of love for others
- pay everyone whatever he ought to have
- obey the laws of your country, keep the laws and you will get along well
When you do all of the above, it fully satisfies all of God’s requirements, and that should be your aim – seeking to know what He wants you to do, and those things you shouldn’t.
Another reason for right living, Paul is saying, know the time, and now is really high time that you should also awake out of sleep. Don’t follow God blindly.
“Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God.” Romans 15:15
All the things you need to follow are written in the bible; “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13
It’s high time we serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear, “redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:16
“Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear” Hebrews 12:28
The times of ignorance God winked at; but now he’s commanding all men every where to repent. Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness.
It should be your sole reason to want to understand what the will of the Lord is for you. Don’t copy others, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think. Learn from your own experience as you go, how your own relationship with God will really satisfy you.
Every believer is a watchman of self; there are no grounds for complacency but to be awake knowing the time of our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.
Be up and awake to what God is doing! He is putting the finishing touches on the salvation work in you.